Monday, October 20, 2008

Hi didily dee, a yurting life's for me


Yurt = Luxury camping.

Okay, not really, but compared to how we usually camp, it was luxurious. And fun.


We stayed in a sweet campground, Pearl Lake State Park. There's not much there but a small lake, and a campground. In the summer, the campground might seem a little crowded, but for us, the rest of the campground was closed. Yes, closed. The parks dept actually closed the campground due to the beetle-killed trees, which might have been falling or ready to fall. (None fell while we were there.) They allowed us to stay at our yurts since we alread had reservations. I agree, the trees should be thinned out, and the campground will be adversely affected by the thinning, but it will still be nice and pretty shady there. Especially when you consider our camping trip to Stillwater (Lake Grandby) a few months ago, where they took pretty much ALL of the trees. This forest we camped in, was very thick, and very Hansel-und-Gretel-ish. Just beautiful. And quiet. Well, except for our children's noise. But it was nice not to have to worry about bothering anyone. At all.


I was super worried about the cold. We are warm weather campers. Weather reports quoted temps down in the low 20's. We weren't cold. During the days it was in the upper 50's maybe low 60's, beautiful, and it did cool down at night, but we had a warm fire, and the yurts had electric heaters and were well insulated.

No running water. The park had turned off all water, therefore water pumps, as well as the flush toilets ;-p We survived. We made one trip for more water to Steamboat Lake State park, a few miles away. But we had plenty of water for hand washing and drinking water.

Playing at the lake:


Building fairy houses:Campfires:It was a wonderful weekend. We will definitely use yurts or cabins again to extend our camping season in the future.

Exploring Steamboat Springs:Elise after a bee sting, the best pic I got here!


Next folder: Elise's 3rd Birthday, November 2005:

It was total Girlapalooza, all in princess clothes!The big kids were there, too, in a variety of costumes:A fairy serving tea:
Kids got new pajamas!
And I just love this pic, even though it is blurry. There's just something dreamy about this one!

2 comments:

Tanya said...

I just came upon that picture of the little girls the other day, so sweet.

I'm very envious of your yurting trip and will definitely have to go for it next fall. I dream of just one more campfire. . .

Loelle said...

I think we should arrange a cabin trip just once this winter. I think we can do it!!!!!!!